Applying to become an approved family child care provider
A child care provider who would like to be approved by the Family Child Care Agency are required to meet the standards set by Family and Child Care Connections and follow the regulations set out in the Child Care Services Act of Newfoundland and Labrador.
If you would like to apply to be an approved family child care provider, contact us. We will assign a home visitor to support you through the steps required for approval. If your application is successful, home visits will continue on a monthly basis to ensure that you continue to meet your obligations and to provide support.
To be approved, child care providers are required to:
- fill out the Family Child Care Agency's application form, download it here.
- receive an initial home assessment through the home visitor
- complete the Government Services' Environmental Health and Fire/Life Safety inspections
- purchase commercial general liability insurance
- obtain municipal approval
- complete our family child care training (see our training section here.)
- complete first aid training (see our training section here.)
- provide their immunization record
- obtain a current certificate of conduct and child protection record
For Information on becoming a regulated Family Child Care Provider, Please click on the two links below:
https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/219734/Information package (Blue Book).pdf
https://www.cushycms.com/temporary_uploads/219734/Child care provider information package.pdf
Please note: you may be required to fulfil other requirements before you are approved.
When the conditions have been met, the home visitor will recommend the child care provider for approval. Approval certificates are granted for a maximum of 3 years.
The Family Child Care Agency will revoke a certificate if the Child Care Services Act or the contract with the agency is violated.
If you would like to receive a detailed information package about the approval process, please contact us.
Family and Child Care Connections
#50 Pippy Place, Unit 22,
P.O. Box 13574, St. John's, NL
Telephone (709) 754-7090
Fax (709) 754-7091