What is quality care?
Choosing a child care provider can sometimes be a hard and stressful thing to do. There are many different factors that need to be considered in finding someone who can meet your child's and your family's needs.
The following list includes some questions you may want to ask yourself as you assess child care providers who offer family child care.
Are the children's needs being met?
- Is the home safe?
- Is the home friendly and warm?
- Do the snacks and meals meet Canada's Food Guide recommendations?
- Are the children physically active, inside or outside, every day?
- Is there a variety activities that are appropriate for your child's age and stage of development?
- Are there quiet activities throughout the day or nap time for those who need it?
- Does the child care provider speak to the child(ren) in a positive manner and maintain positive guiding techniques?
- Does the child care provider discuss the child's day with parents, including any successes or problems?
- Does the child care provider have up-to-date first aid training and is she or he practice daily health and safety issues?
- Is the child care provider knowledgeable about child development?
- Is there evidence of the child care providing enhancing their knowledge through a means of professional development?
- Is the child care provider supported by a licensed family child care agency or some other form support?
- Can the child care provider give you references from others who have experiences in child care with her or him?
Are the parents' and child care providers' needs being met?
- Do the parents have ongoing input in their child's care?
- Are the parents welcome at any time?
- Is there a substitute child care provider? Can the parent meet the substitute? What are the qualifications of the substitute?
- Does the child care provider offer a written agreement outlining the child care arrangements?
- Do the parents and the child care provider share updated information that enhances the quality of child care?
Family and Child Care Connections has a variety of resources and an information package that can help you choose a child care environment that will provide quality care for your child. You can download PDF files of them here.
Parent Information Package
What is quality child care?
Five steps to finding quality child care